Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Dating Game


For this third paper assignment we were charged with analyzing how a specific cultural tradition has been challenged, altered, or undermined, therefore having some impact on society as a whole. The assignment required the inclusion of an antithesis or opposing perspective to the thesis.


I selected this paper as my writer’s choice because I felt it demonstrated some of my best writing of the quarter. I thought I was successful in demonstrating the contrasts between traditional (where the ‘spark’ comes first) and on line dating (where compatibility comes first); and the similarities between traditional dating and speed dating (‘spark’ first). In addition to quotes from the essays, the use of the antithesis (how false on line representation of one’s self can result in an artificial sense of compatibility) added an extra dimension of validation to the argument of the thesis. I tried to demonstrate how traditional dating conventions have been altered by the needs of today’s fast paced society by turning to innovative new ways of dating which can either support or contradict the notion that a biological attraction or ‘spark’ precedes compatibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment