Thursday, March 11, 2010

Playing to the Crowd


The objective of this discussion board was to draw conclusions based on a variety of readings, a process known as synthesis. The activity also drew on the critical thinking skill of definition. We were tasked with explaining what an identity marker is, what kinds were encountered through the readings, and to reflect on the significance of the markers in our own experience.


I enjoyed this type of writing forum because the interactive nature enabled the flow of thoughts and ideas, which, in turn, inspired other thoughts and ideas from all of the participants. I’ve grown both as a reader and a writer through this process because the discussion boards allow us to present our ideas in a less-formal writing style than in an essay. I’ve found that people tend to express their thoughts and ideas more freely in this forum than in a formal paper, and I’ve enjoyed reading classmates’ unfiltered perspectives. It’s also a clever way for the professors to expand on the concept of community!


In this posting I chose to synthesize my own perceptions of the concept of identity markers with supporting evidence from the essays. I think it means more to the audience when you can personalize your point. My opening sentence seemed like a good ‘lead’ into the discussion by getting the reader to think about what things factor into their own first impressions. One line in my posting that seemed to particularly engage some of my classmates was, "In the same way that an old photo may not resemble what a person currently looks like, so do our identity markers change". In response to that statement I received feedback such as, “Your essay made me look back at the things that have affected my identity through the years. Without directly asking the reader to look back at their life you accomplished it through that sentence”, and” It's interesting how you point out that your identity markers change throughout the years. Very well put!”

No comments:

Post a Comment